From re-records to global awards: A Taylor Swift's 2021 retrospective
After a year full of surprises and one of the most impactful of her career, Taylor returns in 2021 to show not only that she owns her work, but also her narrative and the world. Therefore, the Taylor Swift Museum could not fail to list the 13 most important events of 2021 for the singer!
1. Marking a great start, Taylor adds another great achievement in her career by becoming the first woman to win Album of The Year thrice at the Grammys with 'folklore'.
2. On April 9, Swift released 'Fearless (Taylor's Version)’, marking the beginning of a new phase for her career, the re-recording of her old albums, now having the full rights of her masters. The album reached the top of the Billboard 200 and became one of the two best-selling albums in pure sales of the year to date.
3. While the world was enjoying Fearless (Taylor's Version), Swift won another honor in her career with the BRIT's Global Icon Awards, becoming the first female artist and the first international act to ever receive this achievement. This feat also scored another Guinness World Record for her.
4. In June, with her ninth studio album, ‘evermore’, Taylor earns the biggest vinyl sales week for any album in Nielsen history, becoming the first one to sell over 100,000 in a single week. With this, the album re-peaked at the top of the Billboard 200, breaking her tie with Garth Brooks and officially making her the third act with most cumulative weeks at #1 on the Billboard 200 history.
5. Still in June, the National Music Publishers’ Association honored Taylor Swift with its Songwriter Icon Award at the association’s virtual annual meeting, for her influence when it comes to writing music and her advocacy for the creative community.
6. During July, Swift has been listed among Howe Magazine's "50 Influential People" issue in Thailand, that brings together 50 famous influencers, businessmen, and executives whom have achieved success in multiple fields. She was one of the few western artists on the list.
7. Stepping into November, after Taylor was asked to attend the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for a special tribute in honor of music legend Carole King, marking her first live performance since the GRAMMYs in March, Swift releases another re-recording, 'Red (Taylor's Version)', which broke several great records. Along with the album sales success, the single 'All Too Well (Taylor's Version) reached the top of the Aria Charts, Irish Charts, UK Charts, Hot 100 and many other charts around the world.
Breaking more records due to increased vinyl record sales, ‘Red (Taylor’s Version)’ shattered again the US record for the largest vinyl sales week surpassing the last record that was ‘Evermore’
8. With 'All Too Well (Taylor's Version)', Swift wins her eighth #1 on the Hot 100, and it also became the longest song to reach that position on the American chart. It also became the lowest-numbered airplay song of the streaming era.
The song currently ranks among the most acclaimed songs of 2021, being named the best of the year by Insider and the top female tune of the year by Rolling Stone & TIME.
9. And on social media Swift proved to be more influential than ever, being featured on TikTok's Year in Review, placed among the 'Breakthrough Stars'. Her songs also earned her many virals on the social network, causing her old songs to grow on the charts and being the main motive behind the release of Wildest Dreams (Taylor’s Version), which we had only heard in a preview for the trailer for the film Spirit Untamed. Taylor was also named the most influential person on Twitter this year by the vehicle BrandWatch.
10. Taylor was named the most admired female musician worldwide in 2021 by YouGov, being Swift's third consecutive year among the top 10 most admired women.
11. Dominating the streaming era, Taylor became the most streamed female artist on Spotify with 9 billion streams on the platform this year.
12. In 2021, Taylor Swift racked 64 awards, tying with Olivia Rodrigo for the most accolades won by a female musician throughout the year.
13. And finally, but not least, Taylor was named Billboard’s Greatest Pop Star of 2021 for all of her achievements and impact in the industry this year.
As you can see, 2021 was a great year for Taylor’s career and we hope that 2022 will be even better. For more information about this year for Swift, check out the ‘Swift Recap’ banner on our social media platforms!